Thursday, November 5, 2015

It's Ornamental!

Hello peeps! I do hope you enjoyed your Halloween and all that it entailed. Today starts a new challenge at Anything But Cute #7-It's Ornamental and the super sweet, and talented Cec is our hostess! Here is what she said, "Since the holiday will be coming up pretty quickly, we want you to create a mixed media ornament for your Christmas tree or a Christmas decor item for your house or table.
I love, love, love the Christmas holiday and go all out for it! So without further adieu here is my design! Who knew I could go from shock horror to soft and pretty!?! Lol. Grab a cuppa, this is a long one. :)

I started with a paper mâché mailbox. Applied some gesso and LSG sprays to the front and back. Then started on the Shimmer Sheetz. 
Using 3 different colors of embossing powder and a tree stamp, I got to stamping. The EP adds some nice texture to the Sheetz. TIP-Shimmer Sheetz don't hold up to heat embossing and will warp a bit but it can still be done! I used two sheetz to cover the sides of the mailbox and overlapped those at the top. Then came the die cuts. 
The flower was made with TH Tattered Flowers die. I layered three pieces and added some EP randomly, as well as some Stickles. The bird is a new Sizzix die. The bottom layer of the bird die was painted with DecoArt Media Cobalt Teal Hue (my cuttlebug didn't cut it all the way through but I used it anyway). The top die cut was heat embossed with a Recollections EP. Glossy Accents was liberally applied and I put the pieces together. The glossy accents gooped out through the holes in the top die cut which resulted in a glass like appearance and added some nice texture to the bird. 
The mailbox edges were painted with DecoArt Media Cobalt Teal Hue as well and then snowflake stickers were added. 
The filigree die cuts were made from white and a pale blue cardstock. Both were then lightly edged with Mermaid Lagoon DI. My ribbon was hand died with LSG sprays and helped to create my birds "nest". The flower has a bit of bling added and some small feathers. So many luscious layers! More layers help create nice texture and depth to any design. 
The snow on the mailbox flag (as well as the top of the candlestick) was created by using DecoArt Snow-Tex
This is the front of the mailbox. I used another die cut and lightly edged it with Mermaid Lagoon DI as well. The "Merry Christmas" sentiment is a TH rub on (thanks Samra!)
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! Although, I don't really like snow IRL-too cold for me. Brrrr! 
The back of the mailbox had a snowflake rub on and an embossed sentiment as well. 
The candlestick was painted white and then Cobalt Teal Hue, I then added a layer of white crackle paint. Once that was dry, I took a damask print stamp (inked with ML DI) and randomly applied it to the entirely awkward shape. Stickles added some glitter and Snow-Tex added some more texture. Pretty! 
And now for
THE SURPRISE: 
I created a false front to the opened mailbox and it raises up when the lid is closed. The reindeer, trees, and moon (actually my thumbprint, lol) are heat embossed onto vellum. The mini tree was sprayed with LSG sprays, and texture was added with the DecoArt Snow-Tex. I painted the mini lights with Cobalt Teal Hue and gesso. The floor was made to look like ice by sprinkling EP and layering DecoArt Liquid Glass over it. The cobblestones were hand cut and lightly pushed into the "ice". 
Whew! You made it to the end! Congrats! I hope you had a fun journey and create some amazing designs! Thanks for stopping by. Hugz and Carpe Diem! ~Niki

I will be sharing this altered design with these challenges:


I used Glossy accents to adhere almost everything in this design, as well as adding dimension to the bird die cuts


I used lots of glitter, diamonds and gems, as well as luscious embossing powder that has bling in it.

I used 3 different dies on this design.



24 comments:

  1. Wow Doc, just WOW!! This is a beauty of a project that just glows like a magical relic found at the North Pole! I am just loving that shimmer paper and I can't believe you heat embossed it, well freaking done!! The surprise on the inside is the cherry on the cake, I love all the detailing! Wonderful work with the Snow-Tex, the drips on the stem look so realistic! GORGEOUS decoration that will just light up the room this season! Love it my friend. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Punkin, not only do you do Halloween so well, you do Christmas even better! I love everything about this snowy Christmas decoration, and indeed, it is full of wonderful surprises! I love the embossed trees on the shimmer sheets, the Snow Tex on the flag and the candle stick which really looks like the real deal! Oh, and that tree on an icy pond, and those tiny cobblestones just steal my heart! You are awesome, my dear, and so is this mailbox! LOVE it! PS. Be sure to stay clean, Punkin--you have your finger prints on everything! Tee Hee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
    This is the most beautiful Shabby Chic Mailbox that has EVER been created in the history of the mankind! I am so impressed, especially knowing that you are a Steampunk Guru and now you are the Master of Shabby Chic!!! Oh how I love your make my dear, don't think I can really put it into words!!!!
    Hugs

    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous alteration, your ornaments are really festive. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Niki, my dear friend, you have totally outdone yourself with this outstandingly beautiful piece! You are fantastic in any style, from Steampunk to Shabby! This awesome altered mailbox has just stolen my heart! I love every single detail you put here creating such a brilliant piece!
    Huge hugs and lots of love to you! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just the coolest project! The use of the candlestick is awe inspiring! I love the dimension created on the mailbox, just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, what a labour of love! That is just stunning. Love the gorgeous teal blues. So icy fresh and wintery. Utterly stunning. Thanks so much for joining in with our Diecuts & Punches fun this week at Sweet Stampin'. So glad you did! Hugs, Wends x Sweet Stampin' DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, wow and wow again Niki, this is stunning! I don't think I have ever seen a more beautiful post box.. ever! Cobalt Teal Hue is my most favourite colour ever and those Lindy colours are amazing. And then the surprise! What a surprise it is too, gorgeous, just gorgeous, right down to your clever thumb print for the moon. I am so pleased you did a long post, I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it and you have left me wanting more.... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness I want this! Saw a dollar tree one that will work as the base going for it tomorrow I am inspired! Thanks for the deets on this with pics love it! Thanks for joining us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month! Nanette, DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous blue mailbox! So many wonderful details - love the shiny paper, the tree and deer scene on the opened box and your creative stand! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful, I've been sitting here admiring it for ages, love all the details!! Thank you so much for joining our 'Diecuts and punches' challenge at Sweet Stampin' this week, good luck in the prize draw and I do hope we'll see you again soon, love Jacky x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, Niki - and what a fab idea!! LOVE your false front (and the moon, ha, ha!)
    The colors and texture are fantastic - and i really love your heat embossed trees - very effective! Way to go, girl! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally cool mailbox Niki! Your blues are gorgeous, full of winter and ice with a hint of sun. I love how you put it up on a pedestal! Thanks for joining us for the Monday challenge at Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fabulous !!! Love the colors you chose and this will look so pretty for your Christmas decor... Thank you for creating with us at Rhedds Creative Spirit

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - what a magical project this is - so clever and beautiful colours - love LOVE it!
    Gill xx :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Been wondering what you gals have been up to, I've been so good at not peeking and I have to say I love the surprise!! This is beautiful, the shades of blue are so uplifting and the light shabbiness is delicious. You have so much talent and so much to give that I know you're going to keep astounding us with your amazing projects xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous glossy mailbox - I just love the teal and frosty white colour palette - and brilliant die-cut decorations.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, is this ever pretty and I love the bright blue. I love all the embossing and the details you put into this, including the scene inside. Mounting it on the fancy candle stick was such a nice touch. This will look so pretty in your house and I can just imagine the sparkle it will provide near a candle or the lights from the Christmas tree.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW this is fabulous! It is absolutely gorgeous!!! Stunning!! I can't stop gushing LOL! A lot of work for sure but wow what a beautiful finished piece! Thanks for playing along with us over at One Crazy Stamper!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my! What a fantastic project! Love the beautiful shades of blue and all the embossed detail! A real work of art! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous project ! Absolutely Gorgeous !
    Thanks for joining us at Let's Craft and Create challenges blog and good Luck !
    MARYVONNE DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous project!! Thanks so much for joining us at Let's Craft & Create.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous project! Please note, we ask that when playing in our challenge you enter not more than 4 other challenges. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  24. beautiful and super creative project! in order to be considered for our prizes, please only enter into 4 other challenges. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    -Rachel
    rwkrafts.com

    ReplyDelete