Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Blues and Metal

Today is the day that I can share my second guest design for Xandeous Crafty Stash! I enjoy working with metal trinkets and tid-bits and Naomi (the owner of XCS) was kind enough to let me have a play. With so many wonderful challenges going on I wanted to create a design that fit all so I decided to keep it blue. For some reasons blues are more easy for me to work with. I have been working on trying to create more layers, texture and composition in my designs. Exploring the possibility is what I am enjoying right now. Here is the final result.
I started by applying black gesso to my background board (compliments of Autumn from Sew Paper Paint) and adding some stenciling with black modeling paste. 
Then I had to decide on the composition of the pieces. Every metal piece you see is from Xandeous Crafty Stash! The paintbrushes are from my stash. Everything was glued down with multi matte medium. 
Once you have everything glued and in its place, apply more black gesso and cover it all up. 
To add even more texture I randomly slopped on some texture paste. That's the white gritty lookin stuff in the picture below. 
A thin coat of DecoArt Prussian Blue Hue was brushed over the entire piece, then another thin layer. Once that was dry I kept using different DecoArt blues to create different layers of blue colors. Cobalt Teal Hue, Cobalt Turquoise Hue and Turquoise Water. Around the edge, where most of the texture paste is I added some Quinacridone Gold. And some Q-gold in other random spots. 
Then came the dry brushing using different shades of white. The best white I use for dry brushing is DecoArt Titanium White.
I would like to share this design with these fun challenges:






*I was inspired by those lovely paintbrushes and the textured wall. 







20 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh I love it! You amaze me with your fabulous sense of style and creativity! You certainly achieved some amazing texture in this collage. And I adore the depth in colors. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Niki this is gob smackin' gorgeous. Love looking at all the work talented mixed media artists like yourself create and best of all how you created this one bit by bit. Totally fabulous result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is stunning, Niki!! I love the amazing colors!! The blues are gorgeous!! The texture is fabulous!! What a creative, beautiful project this is!! I love, love it, my friend!! Spectacular!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you certainly created lots of lovely layers Niki, this is a stunning piece of work. I just love how you incorporated the paintbrushes and the background stencilling is beautiful. As for the blues, they are stunning!! Hugs, Red xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY COW ...... that is one magnificent piece of art ..... you are so talented and have a great eye fir details ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️ AMAZING XXxxx Tina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is absolutely amazing, just love it! Thanks for joining us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Lovely textures and the final project is amazing! Thank you for playing along with us at Happy Little Stampers. Good luck!
    Aditi Mahajan- DT

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Niki - the blues shimmer so beautifully over the dark depths, and I love the paintbrushes all weathered amongst the metal accents. This is brilliant!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW this is absolutely amazing fabulous texture love the added brushes and step by step----Thank you for joining us at A Inky Mess
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous. I love blue and like all the texture you made on this canvas.
    Thanks for playing with us at HLS Mixed Media Challenge.
    Good luck!! Michelle(DT)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant artwork, Punkin'! You amaze me with your ability to collage so well, and your coloring is just phenomenal! Love this gorgeous grungy texture you have going on! Just an amazing canvas! You are doing Naomi proud! My only 'gripe' is that you seem to have used 3 perfectly fine paintbrushes! I use mine 'til the end then throw them in the box with all the other 'junk' or pick them up in yardsale bundles. Need some????

    PS so sweet of Autumn to share with you...not a surprise...she is most generous! Speaking of generous gifts, I have just used something you sent me in my last happy mail package on a journal page. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You make me laugh dearie. The paintbrushes were done. I forgot to clean em after using glossy accent and it dried to a concrete finish. Oops. I cleaned the top bristles off so it didn't look used. Haha! I do need to get some new ones though, or find some old ones I can alter in my next design. Hugz to you muffin!

      Delete
  12. Enjoyed seeing your cool process here! And I wanted to thank you for the great comment on my slider ATC- means a lot coming from a great artist!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning project and great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous Canvas Niki, beautiful layers and colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful creation! Thanks for joining us at Mixed Media & Art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's the great work!Thanks for joining us at Mixed Media & Art!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great creation thank you very much for your participation in the challenge MMA

    ReplyDelete