Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Dark Harlequin Mini Top Hat

It sure has been a bit since I made a mini top hat. I have been itching to design a new one. With a new challenge at Mix It Up, I figured this would be a great time to get started! I didn't use the twist of Paper Piecing but the stencil sure was pieced together!
I started with my usual craft foam and drew out the template. Then I painted everything with red acrylic paint (2 layers) and grabbed a Tim Holtz Harlequin stencil. I used black texture paste through the stencil.

Once the texture paste was dry, I cut out the different pieces. The hardest part was waiting for the texture paste to dry! I didn't use a heat tool because the foam will change shape. 
I glued all the pieces together with contact cement. That is the ONLY glue that will hold this hat together. Nope, don't try hot glue. It doesn't work well.

I grabbed some metal pendants and such from my stash and used black alcohol ink on the pendant hanging on the front of the hat. The skull is from Emerald Creek and I applied Snow Cap AI to it. 
The "ribbon" around the base of the hat is leftovers from another project. I also made a little bow out of it.
The skull lady pendant is from Tim Holtz. The feathers were glued together and shaped with the back of my dull scissors. The skeleton hand is leftover from Halloween and painted black with white highlights for the bones.
The top of this hat has a Creative Embellishment rose chippie. I used Emerald Creek Classic embossing powder-Candy Red and adhered it with Tombow glue. Ta-da! Sounds easy but this took me awhile to create. Carpe Diem! ~Niki

I want to share this design with these wonderful challenges:

My process is the making of a hat from scratch. Try it! You won't be disappointed. 


18 comments:

  1. Oh wow! A mad hatter's dream! I adore the red harlequin! Stunning! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biggest congratulations on being our overall winner at Stamps & Stencils for my Technique School challenge! You blew us away with your mad skills & tutorial. Hugs, Autumn

      Delete
  2. Oh I don't think I could possibly pick what my favourite top hat is, as every time I see another its that one. Simply fabulous.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a master at these wonderful hats Niki!! You had me at the red and then the fabulous black harlequin - wow. And then the skull and amazing hand - another wow!! So very clever and so very beautiful.... Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super cool! I wish I had patience to do this! This is perfect for an awesome Halloween costume or some cool photo shoots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous hat, with wonderful details!! This would be great for Halloween too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMGoodness this is incredibly beautiful and what a masterpiece. Love it! You are so talented Niki.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooooh! A new favorite from your hat series, Punkin'! Love the bold Harlequin pattern; perfect with the red! And your embellishments are all super cool! Love what you've done with the hand, and that ribbon is just so awesome! AMAZING creation, Niki! Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippee, Punkin! Congratulations on your win at CA!!!

      Delete
  8. Wow! This is stunning !!! I love the red with the black texture paste stencilling and fabulous embellishments. Such a beautiful finish I so want to make one of these! Thank you for sharing your wonderful project with us over at Stamps and Stencils. Toni x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous project, full of detail, colour & texture. Many thanks for joining in with Love 2 Create Challenges 'Anything Goes' challenge. Lou (DT L2CC)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A stunning project. A wonderful design with the foam, colourway and stencil. The decorative elements are all fabulous.
    Thank you for joining in with our August challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous project, love the texture paste over the foam ! Thanks for sharing your technique with us at Stamps and Stencils. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun and fantastic project! You are so clever, thank you for sharing with us at Creative Artiste this month, Jane (DT) :) x http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic Project. Love the texture and design. Thanks for joining us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. This hat and the way you made it is fantastic! I've never thought about foam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, wow,wow! What a glorious, gorgeous hat, love the colours, techniques and the embellishments are perfect! love this! Thanks so much for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This hat is incredible. I love the red and black harlequin pattern. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete