Thursday, June 15, 2017

Mix It Up #2

What a lovely week it has been and I am thrilled that the weather is so much more to my liking of being hot. Summer is my favorite season and then Spring. Anyway, today is the day for the Mix It Up Team B's designs and our technique focus this month is stamping! Rubber stamps, cling stamps, hand made stamps-just no digi stamps. :) So without further ado here is my design. Enjoy!

This is my very first time using Gelatos and I have to say I enjoyed it immensely! The colors for this design are all from the iridescent collection. Everything from Black Hole, Lunar, Blue Moon to Satellite, Nebula and Supernova. Cool names for such gorgeous colors!
I used a watercolor canvas and applied a layer of gesso first. I then just slapped on all the colors that came in this set and sprayed it with water letting the drips happen here and there. 

Next came a brand new stencil. I used a white color box ink through the stencil. Since this is a pigment ink it sits on top of the canvas and doesn't dry fast at all. I waited a few days for it to dry.
While my canvas was drying, I decided to try my hand at making a dream catcher. First time doing this as well. I used some broken grape vines I had leftover in my stash and some embroidery thread. I wrapped the thread around the vines and made a circle. I then wove a greenish blue embroidery thread through the circle and made the inside of the dream catcher. It worked! Surprise surprise! I used a Prima word sign and some clear bead things to add some texture to the dream catcher. 
Raiding my feather stash produced some teal feathers, some teal feathers with polka dots, some white feathers and some small metal trinkets from TH Ideaology.
I attached those to the bottom of the dream catcher and then added the silver rose (from Emerald Creek). 

The dream catcher was popped up on foam dots and the middle feather was adhered to the canvas with a hot glue gun. 

The last thing I added was some stamping with random rubber word stamps. I used Distress Ink and slapped down some script. 
You can see the stamping much better in real life but here are more close ups as well.
I used contrasting colors so everything would stand out and the stamping would be visible. 
So get out your stamps and enjoy a good play day, or week! You never know where your paints and colors will take you! Carpe Diem and Hugz! ~Niki

I would enjoy sharing this design with these challenges:




I used Dream Road because creating my own version of art is a dream road I journey down for every piece. 

20 comments:

  1. Wow, Niki, this is absolutely stunning!! The background looks amazing!! I haven't used my gelatos in forever and you've inspired me to pull them out and play!! I love the stencling in white!! The dreamcatcher is spectacular!! You did a perfect job with it!! This is so gorgeous and I love, love it!! Creative and fabulous, my sweet friend!! Enjoy the warm temps and have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful canvas, Punkin'! You did a fabulous job with your Gelatos--love those drips and the colors are POW! And your dream catcher is fantastic--you are a master of many trades, my friend! That stencil is gorgeous and your background stamping is the icing on the cake! So happy you are enjoying your hot weather! Wish you were here to enjoy some of ours! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Niki, stunning canvas, loving those gorgeous Gelato colours in the background, the stencilling is beautiful and I just absolutely adore the wonderful dream catcher you created. I just lovely everything about this beauty! Big hugs, Red xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. so super cool...great looking and well done.
    TFS,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I am still getting to grips with my gelatos so loved seeing your technique. Will have to try it. Thanks for entering Creative Artiste's Mixed Media blog challenge.
    Good luck
    Lynda x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dream catchers are gorgeous with those bright luscious colors, Niki!! Love how you used the stencil in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous Niki, love the background and dream catcher! I saw where you tried following my blog. Whenever I have that happen to me, I try a few times and if that doesn't work, I try it on Google Chrome. Hope you'll give it another try. :)
    Hugs, Sherry x
    Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

    ReplyDelete
  8. Niki this is absolutely amazing!!! I love the beautiful colors with the grunge factor and that fab dreamcatcher! Really beautiful and inspiring creation. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your win at STAMPlorations with this AAAAAAHmazing project my friend! Love coming back for a second (and third) look! :) Hugs, Autumn

      Delete
  9. absolutely amazing this is gorgeous I love it ;O))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful 'dreamy' canvas Niki, thanks so much for sharing it and joining us at A Vintage Journey! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the bright colors and wonderful drippiness you achieved with your Gellatos Niki! great job on your very first dream catcher - who would know you hadn't been making them forever?!! - and your feathers are the perfect accent - thank you for joining us in the A Vintage Journey Challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I love the colors so bright and vivid. The dream catcher is awesome too! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely project. Beautiful details. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month. Hope to see your lovely art work back here again soon. Judy DT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lots of things you've done first time and the result is brilliant, love the background and dream catcher. Thank you for joining STAMPlorations Mixed Media challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning canvas and gorgeous colours

    ReplyDelete
  16. Top to bottom, left to right, and 360 degrees...all looks perfect my friend! Loving the colors in the background, beautiful stamping and such adorable dream catcher! It's so wonderful to see your submission at STAMPlorations June Mixed Media Challenge Thank you for playing along with us Niki :)
    Hugs and smiles,
    Asmah
    STAMPlorations Mixed Media Design Team
    Qinaahana Arts & Crafts {My Personal Blog}

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the colours on this - its beautiful! thanks for joining us at Stamps and stencils - apologies for commenting so late! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wooooow, Niki, this is absolutely fantastic! What awesome colors, rich textures and fabulous design! Your dreamcatcher is simply stunning! I love, love, love your marvelous canvas, my lovely friend! Lots of love to you!
    Thank you so much for joining us at Stamps and Stencils! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete