Sunday, October 1, 2017

Vampire Hunter Journal

What a wonderful October! So happy that Halloween is so close (even though I will be spending this Halloween in the hospital with my husband while he gets a new hip). I have wanted to create a Vampire Hunting Kit for almost 2 years now and figured with the new challenge at Mix It Up, this would be the perfect time to get a start on it. And every hunting kit needs a journal, or two or three journals! Happy October y'all!
I started with a piece of leather and embossed it with a new embossing folder. You can't really see the embossing well in these photos and in retrospect, it looks like the leather didn't take the embossing well. Lesson learned.
I then hand bound 20 white 82lb pages with wax thread and added those to the inside of the journal because lets be honest, who the heck would want the pages outside the journal? Not me! Defeats the purpose. I am in a weird mood while writing this. Haha!
While the pages were sewn into the journal, I added a Tim Holtz metal tag to the seam of the outside of the journal. Nothing fancy, just some knots to make it stay in place.
This vampire hunting journal was downloaded from How to Haunt Your House (they have some amazing downloads for Halloween!) I printed it on a laser printer and then bound it just like the leather journal. Each page was distressed and grunged up.
I used some distress inks, distress stains, archival inks, acrylic paints for splatters, and even some dirt from my yard. The edges of the journal were given an aged look with a pair of scissors. I think I pulled out all of my browns, yellows, and dark colors and just kept layering until I liked the look.
The pages with a vampire that have been killed are highlighted with a red skull and a capital D. The book tells you how to kill the supernatural and also who is deceased. Such a cool and interesting read.
I had to add some red alcohol ink and red distress ink to each page to give it a sinister feel. If any Vampire Hunter had a journal, it sure wouldn't look all nice a pristine! Hard work means dirty items! Bwahaha!
Hopefully you all have a wonderful and fun October! I know I will be adding to my vampire hunting kit, guess you will just have to visit again if you want to see what else is going to be in the kit! Carpe Diem! Thanks for reading and visiting! HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

I would like to share this with these challenges:


I was inspired by the quote. "Give it a try said the heart". I have been wanting to make this and finally gave it a try! 

13 comments:

  1. Ooooh, what a fantastic, spooky journal, scarily awesome! Happy haunting with it! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a fabulously spooky journal Niki, so full of vampire delights! I love the way the embossing turned out, it gives the journal such a wonderful vintage feel to it (nice piece of leather too) and the pages are brilliant!

    Best wishes to your hubby for his hip op. Thanks too for joining in our challenge at Mini Album Makers, lovely to see you there! Hugs, Red xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the leather took the embossing pretty well, considering how thick and stiff it can be! It is so cool to use leather rather than make paper look like fake leather! I am sure this was fun to make. I pray for your husband's surgery and recovery! Thanks for playing along in our challenge at Mini Album Makers Challenge Blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This project is simply stunning ! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going to have to try embossing leather now. I love the way your embossed leather turned out. I think it looks *antique-y*. Thanks for joining the challenge at Mini Album Makers Challenge blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love the leather cover with the metal charm and how beautifully you aged the pages with your inks. What fun! I'm so very pleased that you played along with our first challenge at Mini Album Makers. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous leather bound journal - I rather like the subtle embossing - it gives a really cool weathered look to the whole thing. And it would certainly get worn being carried around on all the vampire hunts! Love the imaginative tales on the inside pages. Thanks so much for playing along at Mini Album Makers.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful spooky journal, Punkin'! I think the subtle embossing gives it more of an aged look, and works perfectly with those inky, time worn pages! Oh, if this book could only talk! Best wishes for you and your hubby as you get his hip fixed. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulously beautiful spooky journal Niki, love the vintage look!
    Hugs, Sherry x
    Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! very cool! Magnificent project! Thank you for joining us at MMP challenge

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great project! Thank you for joining us at MMP challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous leather bound journal! Thank you so much for playing along at Mini Album Makers.

    ReplyDelete