Thursday, September 7, 2017

Ruffled in Darkness

Well hello there lovelies! I have been on a hat making kick and am going strong with so many designs. You all will probably get sick of me posting these. Hehe! I have wanted to make a totally black and soft hat featuring a more elegant gothic feel and so I decided to play with lots and lots of feathers. I was inspired by all of the beautiful ravens that are cawing around my neighborhood. Here is the finished design. Enjoy!
I started with the usual foam. I used the taller black top hat for this feathered design. The shorter white hat will be featured at a later date. 
I glue my hat together and the grabbed a load of black feathers. You can dye your feathers using food coloring if you would like to make a certain color. The draw back is, the lack of certain colors in food coloring, and it makes the feathers more of a light color. But anyway, it is a fun thing to try!
As you can see in the picture above, it was a feathery good time! Those feathers ended up everywhere! Each feather was laid exactly where I wanted it and surgically glued into place. I didn't want any of the stem to show so there is a lot of overlap. The feathers were bent and curled to fit the curve of the hat.
The skull and wings were given a special treatment and then I added some dark blue rhinestones to it. The circle under the beak was inlaid with Prussian blue paint and highlighted with glossy accents. I added some soft black lace around the base of the hat and also tied some black leather into knots to give it more texture. It is hard to see in the picture.
The sides of the hat feature a TH skull and crossbone. The eyes are ice blue rhinestones from Xanderous Crafty Stash. Those little gems are so little and were very interesting to work with. The eyes were glued in with glossy accents as well. I did trim off the loop at the top of the skull.
The back of the hat showcases the large lace bow and another skull and crossbone. The lace is extra long to give the hat a nice added form of elegant goth. I do hope you enjoyed this journey with me! Thank you for looking! Carpe Diem!

I would like to share this hat with these challenges:



With so many ravens about in my neck of the woods, I thought this would fit into the Nature part. 




14 comments:

  1. Wow, that hat can be worn only b really crazy, feathery birds! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous creation! Thank you for sharing it with us at Altered Eclectics, Jane (DT) :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing!! It's a feathery masterpiece, Niki!! You are the hat queen, no question!! Spectacular!! Have a great day, my friend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I wouldn't have a clue where to begin but you have this mastered! WOWZA ... awesome! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘Anything Goes’ challenge and please come back again soon!
    Darlene
    one of the 'Sistahs'
    The Sisterhood of Crafters
    DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I for one, will never tire of seeing your wonderful hat creations. This one is so very special, love the black feather and the fabulous adornment! Hugs, Red xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulously decadent project! It looks amazing and so wonderfully tactile. I love the 'elegant goth' feel created with all the fluffiness, lace and skulls.
    Thank you for joining in with our September challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media and good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..how gorgeous...such an awesome creation.
    Thank you so much for joining us this month at Rhedd's Creative Spirit.x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is amazing! Very creative:)
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful hat you have made and love the gothis feel. Thank you for sharing with us over at Altered Eclectics and Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month and hope to see you in future challenges
    DT - Rhedd's Creative Spirit
    Mother Hen - Eclectic Ellapu
    Mother Hen - Altered Eclectic
    Personal Blog - Handcrafted by Ellapu

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fabulous hat. Thank you for sharing it with us at Altered Eclectics.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely glampunk - what a fabulous creation!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete