Sunday, March 20, 2016

Lilac Spring Reverse Canvas

Happy Sunday to y'all! Too bad tomorrow is Monday (for me) and back to the grind. Today is also the first day of Spring in my neck of the woods so I decided to make a Spring type canvas to celebrate. I usually take plenty of process shots but this time I didn't, I was in the zone. Lol!
I am really enjoying making reverse canvases. This is my second one and I see a couple more in the near future. Here's what I started with, some elements made it to the end and some didn't. 
I wanted to create a vintage garden type theme and knew that cardboard would provide the texture and depth I wanted for the base. I cut my cardboard to size and peeled back some of it to get the texture. I used the left over peeled parts to go around the edges of the canvas. Everything was glued with matte Mod Podge. Then some stamping and crackle glaze were randomly applied. I made the nail heads out of craft foam but ended up changing it in the end to round ones. Texture sand was smeared under the nails to create my rusty drips. I used Quinacridone Gold and Rusty Hinge to paint the drips and some brown paint as well. 
The ornate frame was a splurge and believe I should get another. Hehe! I applied crackle glaze to it and then Raw Umber antiquing cream and once dry, wiped it back with a wet wipe. 
 Lilac colored paper and a stamp created the inside of the small frame. I adhered it to the canvas with heavy gel and some foam dots in the center of the frame. Then my nest was added. The nest was painted with Q-gold and the eggs were painted a lilac color. 
 I was still trying out different placements of the elements. The chicken wire and the Beauty chippie were rusted with ground cinnamon, a small amount of instant coffee grounds, and q-gold. I learned this technique from a good bloggy friend, Sara Emily at Sara's Closet and she made the most magnificent tag! It smells so good, the cinnamon technique but I am sure her tag does as well. She's one of the reasons I tried this design. 
The feathers are another new technique for me. I have used plenty of feathers in the past but this time I swiped some DI in Shaded Lilac to one feather. The other two I used a stamp with some Versamark and then sprinkled Primary Elements-Plum Crazy on one and sprinkled the other with Perfect Pearls-Grape Fizz. Here's a close up of that detail. I saw Cristin at Mixed Media Place do this with a stencil and thought a stamp could work as well. It sure did! It's so pretty and easy to do! Awesome sauce! 
This is a close up of the different cinnamon techniques and rusty designs. I love rusty techniques and enjoy learning different ways to create rust. The picture below shows three different techniques. 

 The ribbon was handmade and died with Shaded Lilac and Luminarte Snapdragon. I tried other purples but there was too too much pink in em. The 2 colors I used were true to the purple without the hiccup of the pink. Thank goodness! 

I would love to share this design with these inspiring challenges:

I used the lilac color, the butterfly, and the soft feel of this gorgeous mood board. 

Pastels and eggs make me think of Easter. 





I have made the crafters foam, the chicken wire and the chippie look like rusty metal nail heads.

Stamplorations March Challenge Theme-Stamps and Texture

46 comments:

  1. WOW! This is quite impressive! Love the colors of your project and that stamped feather looks amazing!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cool... Amazing that one little picture holds so much goodness. Loving the faux rusting... You nailed it (hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous alteration, really the bees knees. Hope it persuades spring to come along and stay with us! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. An absolutely gorgeous reverse canvas Niki full of wonderful elements and perfect for the challenge at A Vintage Journey. So glad you shared this with us. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Niki, what a fantastic frame! I love the way the central frame has been aged and the addition of the nesting elements. Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Doc, this is amazing! I love the corrugated cardboard backing, what a great way to create a texture on the edges! The metallic frame is such a beautiful focal piece, so shimmery and vintage, but I think the show stopper for me is that incredible patterned feather!! I can't believe you did that with a stamp, how awesome is that! Love the pops of purple and the dripping rust effect! Stunning piece with so many wonderful techniques! Well done! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, aren't you clever! Great idea Niki to turn it around! this turned out so cool a frame in a frame, and your use of lilac!! Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing Niki. LOVE the feathers - ehehehehe!! The reverse canvas is lovely and that frame fit in perfectly too!! What super texture and dimension. The purple is luscious with that rust! WONDERFUL creativity. Xj.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, WoW, WOW! Niki, this spring reverse frame is my NEW Punkin' favorite, and I hope it is getting a place of honor on your wall, because if it's not, I'm coming to get it! Beautiful updo on that mini frame and your rust is simply amazing! Well done, and woo hoo to you, my friend! You are so sweet to give me a shout out! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And it's another WOW from me too Niki! I love the corrugated card frame and the way the 'rust' has dripped down. The little frame is fabulous and looks even better with your treatment of it! The feathers look so beautiful - gorgeous work!!!

    Thanks so much for joining in our challenge at A Vintage Journey! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is gorgeous! I think you did a wonderful job making the rusty elements. They look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Niki, I love every single inch of this beauty! My favorite feature is the bleeding rusted "nails" in the frame - what a great idea and so realistic looking. The ornate frame is truly gorgeous and yes you should get another! It is stunning in this reverse canvas! Can't wait to see what you'll do with it next. Lovely balance of colors and texture. Really such a pretty piece. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listen, I see this project everywhere and it always jumps out at me again and again! We are so honored that you linked up with us at Stamps & Stencils, what a fab creation! <3

      Delete
  13. Amazing creation again thanks for playing with Mixed Media PLace

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful! Love this lilac, and the rust drips are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving this, Niki!! Your crackle background and the frame, with all the other elements - wow!!! Look forward to more of these dimensional pieces from you - absolutely fabulous! And thanks so much again for checking on me! Nice to know I am missed, lol! Just hit a perfect storm of work commitments and no mojo....hope to reverse that pronto! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so beautiful. Thank you for joining us at MMW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, Niki, this piece of art is perfect a combination of my favourite techniques, effects and embellishments! I adore rust effect and you have managed to achieve it perfectly! That frame with the bird nest is simply stunning and I love your rusty chicken wire in the corners! The stamped feather is fantastic and it's such a wonderful addition to your amazing design! It's breathtakingly beautiful, my friend! Huge hugs to you! Thank you so much for joining in our challenge at Stamps and Stencils this month! Branka DT :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Wow! Wow! This is absolutely stunning! The rust effects with the purple is gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares
    {julia}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous Canvas...Love everything and it is such a beautiful spring piece. Thanks for sharing with us on Emerald Creek Supplies Challenge Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely stunning,love the level of detail you've created here
    Thanks for joining us at MMW and good luck
    Hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh, this is absolutely stunning, Niki!! Wow, the details are amazing!! I love the techniques you used and the texture!! It is truly gorgeous!! I love, love it!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful! I *love* the mix of that purple and rust! Beautiful project for Mixed Media Place moodboard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your fabulous design, looks brilliant !! I have also become your latest blog follower !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holy moly! This is fantastic, Niki! LOVE your spring project so much!!! Thanks for playing along with us at Emerald Creek Dares!

    Hugs!!!!
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow your reverse canvas is beautiful. All of the different textures are fabulous! Thanks for joining us on the Southern Ridge Trading Company Blog!
    -Katelyn DT member at Southern Ridge Trading Company

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is amazing! Walking through the tutorial was awesome because how this project started is definitely not what it looked like by the time it ended. Thank you for sharing it with us at Emerald Creek Dares

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on your win at Emerald Creek! Your project is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous, I love your reverse canvas and how,you incorporated the ingredients so beautifully. Wonderful texture and layered elements. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Just popping' back in to say WHOOOO HOOOO!! Congrats on your win!!! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  30. And another hip, hip Hooray from me, too, Punkin'! I'm sooooo proud of you, and my hats off to the girls at ECD for choosing such a beautiful project for their winner! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow-there are so many fantastic details, I especially love the little nest and the nature pieces. Great colours and textures too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just brilliant - I love how you've used the contents of the travel bag, and the wonderful depth to your beautifully shabby shadow canvas. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oooooo - the texture on this is beyond compare! Sooooo gorgeous! Thanks for playing along at STAMPlorations.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just love your litte eggs in the nest scene created inside the reverse frame! Beautiful layers - love the feathers and all the rust! Thanks for joining us in he AVJ challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. The use of reverse canvas is brilliant-loved the texture and embellishments! Thanks for playing with us at STAMPlorations this month! You may also want to enter STAMPlorations-Mixed media challenge! :)
    Suchi-DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love this! My post for April 1st tomorrow is a reverse canvas too! I love all your details, so inspiring! Thank you for sharing and joining in on the challenge at Southern Ridge Trading Company!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this! My post for April 1st tomorrow is a reverse canvas too! I love all your details, so inspiring! Thank you for sharing and joining in on the challenge at Southern Ridge Trading Company!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful use of the travel bag contents! Your crackled frame is superb and You MUST get another!! A tactile, detailed and eye catching piece of art. Thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Julia S-W x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ooh, such a luxury out came with fabulous details. Love seeing your how to photos too. Thank you for joining STAMPlorations March challenge, hope to see you back this month.

    ReplyDelete
  40. ooh another reverse canvas - yep i know you did this one first - wow, yet more stunning vivid colours - another love from me!! x

    ReplyDelete
  41. So very cool!! Thanks for playing along in the STAMPlorations Theme and Sketch challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  42. So beautiful and creative!!
    Thanks for playing with Mixed Media Place!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very beautiful and elegant! Thank you from MMP!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am seeing this amazing canvas all over the place! Congratulations on your feature at Mixed Media Place! A big hip hip hooray, Punkin! You rocked it with this! hugs!

    ReplyDelete