Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Steampunk Layout with DecoArt

Are you ready for an adventure? Our theme over at SanDee&Amelie's Steampunk challenge is Anything Goes! I decided to try my hand at a new adventure-a layout! This is only the second layout I have ever tried to create. The first (created about 1.5 years ago) ended up burned and torn and up in smoke, literally! I set it on fire. Hehe!

I started with a 12x12 paper from Tattered Time and used some different sized scrap papers to layer behind my picture. Yeppers, that's little ole me in Branson, Missouri. One of the best vacations of my life, so far. My lovely Grandma was laughing so bad when I was posing because I actually fell off the counter. Oops! I get my klutziness from her. Lol! This LO is all about us gals. 
I laid my chippies out where I liked and took a picture so I would remember where to put em all after I painted everything. It always help me to take a pic so I can see what looks good and what looks wonky. 

The large gear was cut in half and left raw. The key and Explore were painted with DecoArt metallic gold paint. The cogs/gears and the dress form were painted in layers. The first layer was DecoArt Paynes Gray, then DecoArt Turquoise Hue, then DecoArt Quinacridone Gold and finally some Carbon Black around the edges for depth. 
My little "Most Wanted" sign was edged with ink and popped up on foam dots. It was part of the picture that I cut up. 

Using all the colors I used on the chippies, I put a dab of each on my craft mat and added a little water, then flicked and splattered all over the page. Fun times! I did put a piece of scrap paper over the picture so it would stay clean.

I enjoy Steampunk a lot and thought this picture (that was hanging out in a cardboard box in the attic) would be perfect to showcase my guns. Can you see my muscle? Lol!

Come on down and join in the Steampunk fun, and while you are there be sure to check out what my teamies have designed! Hugz and Carpe Diem! ~Niki

I am passing this LO to these wonderful challenges:





Simply Papercraft Challenge #25

Frilly and Funkie-Let's Make it a Trio
I used 3 different kinds, and colors of gears.

22 comments:

  1. Love your layout, Niki!

    I struggle with layouts, so I admire yours even more!

    Hugs!
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous page Niki, you are rocking the layouts!! Love all the dark tones, how wonderfully vintage and atmospheric! LOL about taking the photo, it's a lovely shot of you! I love that dress form on the one side, a great addition to all the layers of gears you have. A steampunk delight my friend! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic layout Niki!
    Thanks for joining the sisterhood of snarky stampers for G is for Gears!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful mixed media page! I love the photo and the dress form is awesome. Great vintage mood you have set here. Love it!
    hugs
    ~kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and PS
      still loving it and thanks for playing at Things to Alter! hugs

      Delete
  5. Well this one is a definite success Niki, I love the muted tones, the wonderful cogs and your lovely photo. The whole design of your layout is so well balanced - you did a great job! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a wonderful memory you have shared with us. I love the steampunk accents you used on this piece.

    Thank you for joining us at Crafty Gals Corner for our All About the Girls challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you are a master at everything! Scrapping is something I've never done, but I'd say you nailed it! You are darling, even if you're a klutz (I am too)! ;0

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darling! Ha! If only she knew! Tee Hee! Really, Niki, this is indeed a fabulous layout, and the story behind it is so hysterical. You have great guns and the pistol isn't bad either. Love all your gears and the steampunk dressform--fantastic coloring on them! You rock the layouts! Hugs to you, Punkin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good one Niki! If this is only #2, I wonder what #3,4...will look like! It is just fun, from your photo, to everything you used, and especially your wanted woman!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, girl - fantastic!! Love the story and the LO! Keep it up!! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me laughing about what you did with your first layout, but this one must make up for it! It's awesome. Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another stunning make from the master of steampunk! Niki, it's brilliant! I absolutely love every single detail here! All I want to do is to touch this steampunk rust beauty! Bravo, my lovely! Big hugs and lots of love to you! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a fun page! I love the way you deconstructed the photograph and incorporated the elements into this awesome Steampunk extravaganza of a page. Thanks for visiting my blog and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful LO and those memories will flood back each time you look at it. Thank you for sharing with us at Things to Alter's Steampunk Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know Nikki I don't normally like or do the darker side but I do love this! Your layout is gorgeous, the layout you created for your photograph is just brilliant, special and personal in so many ways. I love the rich reds, the cogs (yes I have a newly found love for cogs lol), the die cuts everything is perfection Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not sure what I like more, your layout or the story of the picture you used in it! LOL! This is just gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done. Great story. Even though I live in Canada, my mom and step dad lived in Illinois and we have taken 2 days trips to Branson. It is a really nice town.Thanks for gearing it up with the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful Niki. You've really made sense of the background pattern with your placement of elements. Great work x

    ReplyDelete
  19. This piece of steampunk art is amazing and the photo-fabulous. Thank you for sharing this with us over at Simply Papercraft. Sue DT.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You had me at Steampunk! You nailed the colors, the vibe and I love your choice of trios! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Frilly & Funkie "Let's Make it a Trio" Challenge!

    ReplyDelete