Thursday, March 24, 2016

Non traditional Easter Basket

Well it is almost Easter, and I really wanted to make something for Easter, but not anything that's typical. I knew I wanted to create a centerpiece so this is what I came up with. A non-traditional egg basket-box tray. Hehe!

I found this on clearance at a local craft store and automatically had a vision. Love when that happens. It didn't turn out exactly as I had hoped, but very close. 
I painted the entire egg holder with Walnut Stain DP, then a layer of Distress Crackle. While that was drying I set about determining what to do with the eggs. I knew I wanted to stay with a limited and earthy color palette. I painted one with Walnut Stain and applied the Distress crackle to it as well, then set it to the side to dry. Two of the eggs were painted with Picket Fence DP and then covered in tissue paper. 
I used some Tim Holtz stamps and stamped with Ranger Archival Ink-Coffee onto some tissue paper then used Ranger matte medium to adhere the tissue paper to each egg. Then I watered down some Walnut Stain DP and used it to create splatters on the eggs. 
The Walnut Stain egg was "painted" with Picket Fence DP and I heat set if for a sec, then wiped it off with a baby wipe so the Picket Fence would get into the cracks. Then I used a scrap piece of tissue and wrapped it and a twine bow around the egg. Some of the crackle came off but that's what I wanted, kind of a vintage feel. The splatters were created by adding water with Archival Pearl and PF and flicking my brush.
The last two eggs were altered using moss and twine for a nature feel. Then I used the Picket Fence and baby wipe for the outside of the box. I swipe some Distress glaze around the outside of the box before I stamped. I added the Tim Holtz stamps with Ranger Archival Ink and added the chit-chat sticker last. The sticker was edged in Walnut Stain as well. 
 I really enjoyed how this turned out and the Reese's bunny is my DH fave so of course I had to add it. He also gets other Reese's candy as well. 
 Here are a few different views of the box. This was a bit hard to photograph and capture the true look of the design. The sun was gone today and it's raining so that doesn't help. 
Finally stopped raining for a bit so I took these pictures outside. No sun, but at least it wasn't raining.
I hope you all have a wonderful Easter weekend and live in the moment! Hugz and Carpe Diem! ~Niki

I would love to share these eggs with these amazing challenges: 





32 comments:

  1. Niki, this is a freaking fantastic makeover of a wooden tray and eggs! I would like to say the butterfly stamped egg is my favorite, but then I think it's the chipped paint one, or maybe it's the moss! Oh, I love them all, and the tray is just GORGEOUS!!!! Wow, wow, wow and a hip, hip, hooray on this one! Big hugs, my crafty friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the loveliest Easter basket I have ever seen. GREAT!! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg this is wonderful! Hubs will definitely appreciate it. I appreciate just looking at the pix! How fun to use all those different techniques for a woodland/natural basket, Niki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woooooow, Niki, this is fantastic! What a genius idea to use that awesome wooden tray for an Easter decoration! I just adore all those techniques you used there! You are such an inspiration, my dear! Fantabulous creation! Love it, love it, love it!
    Lots of love to you! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your basket, Niki! Such a brilliant idea and so brilliantly executed too! A fantastic center piece for your easter decorations!

    Happy Easter!!!!
    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    Oh, and many thanks for sharing your beautiful easter basket with us at Emerald Creek Dares, hun! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous. Love the earthy tones and except for the chocolate bunny that photobombed your Easter basket, this project has a very French vibe to it - ooh-la-la.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Super creative! :) Great project.
    Thanks for sharing it over at the Addicted To Stamps & More challenge blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! I love the distressed style and earthy colors you chose. So creative! Thanks for joining us over at the Mod Squad Challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow Niki, how beautiful is that?!! The box looks beautiful with the crackle and paint and I love the painted eggs, they look amazing! Hope you have a lovely Easter weekend! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully decorated eggs and beautiful wooden tray, love your idea Niki. Thanks for joining us at Emerald Creek this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, Niki, this is amazing!! What a fabulous idea!! It looks so gorgeous!! I love how you decorated each egg!! Absolutely stunning!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a creative project. Thank you so much for entering your creative and beautiful art in our AG FF challenge.
    Blessings, Carole
    Word Art Wednesday DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous non-traditional project Doc! Love all the earthy elements, the mosses and the woods! Love the one with the lace, oh my! I love the addition of the chocolate bunny, no Easter project is complete without a bunny! lol. Wishing you a Happy Easter my friend! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cool is this basket, very different and fantastic work, all the elements have come together so beautifully, thanks for sharing this beauty at ATSM.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! How creative! Happy Easter:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I almost bought those eggs the other day...it was hard to put them down. I LOVE what you've done to alter them...fun and vintagey good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A totally amazing alteration, absolutely brilliant.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely delightful - I love your alternative eggs - charming neutrals, and great variations... Sorry to be somewhat absent lately... we're even working 2 - 11pm today so just time to dash round and wish you a happy Easter!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope your Easter has been wondrous.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This basket is truly fabulous! Truly amazing way to incorporate stamping into home decor. Love it! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG - fabulous!! How did I miss this?!!! You alternative eggs are fabulouso, girl!! I m in love with the Paris one - can I have it, lol!! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is fabulous Niki, I would have loved to have received your beautiful Easter basket, I think the Easter bunny should hire you :O) Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stunning! So creative, love it. Thank you for playing along at Crafty Gals

    Corner Easter or Spring Challenge
    . Lisa DT

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is just really WONDERFUL Niki... just love everything about it. The box turned out stunning - love that coloring and decor. And those eggs are just all WOW's. Anyone I know would love to have this as an addition to their Easter decor. Yes - I always live in the moment sweet girl and for this moment - I am enjoying YOU and your fabulous art! XXj.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am amazed by this--it may be non-traditional but it's so very very fabulous!

    Toni
    HLS DT

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love love love this project!!!! thanks for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fabulous little Easter project ..... I love how you've decorated the eggs. Thank you for playing along with the Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love this!! It's really inspired and really imaginative what you've done x

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my goodness, Niki! I love this!!! What a fantastic clearance find and your alteration of the eggs & crate is spot on. The earthy palette you chose is wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Emerald Creek Dares.
    {julia}

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really love this project. The egg crate is so awesome and old looking.

    ReplyDelete