Saturday, March 5, 2016

Vibrant Colour in a Mixed Media Tag!

Hello and Happy March! Its time for another challenge at the wonderful Anything But Cute! Our very vibrant and fantabulous hostess this month is Branka, from Vintage Handmade. Branka makes some amazingly vibrant and colorful designs so her challenge theme was meant to be. Can you guess what the theme is based on my tag? So bright and colourful!

Crazy for Colour is our theme for March and this is what Branka is looking for: "Spring is coming-a time of the year that brings amazingly beautiful colours! To celebrate it, we would like you to create a mixed media project using VIBRANT COLOURS. It can be a tag, a card, an art journal page or anything else. Just be sure it's vibrant!' Love the badge for the challenge!
Now to be honest, bright colors are a challenge for me so I headed into this design with determination and channeled Branka! Hehe! I made an extra large tag out of some heavy duty white paper/matboard. Then I dabbed some Alcohol in Pool and Wild Plum onto my craft mat and also splooped down some Colour Arte Silks in Vintage Mint and swiped AI paper through it. Pretty and vibrant!
While I was still deciding on the chippies to use I stamped out 4 butterfly stamps and "painted" those with the 3 colors I used on my background. I colored inside and outside the lines-dern art teacher said I could never paint, haha, look at me now!
Fussy cutting is not for the weak handed, nope! And some good scissors are a must! It seemed to take dayssss to cut out my butterflies but I got er done! I wanted to make 2 butterflies that were layered 3 deep and seemed to be 3D! It took some doing but I finally figured out how I wanted both to look and I think it turned out pretty dern good. Hard to get a picture of though. 
The picture above is the butterfly in the lower left corner of the tag and the picture below is the butterfly in the upper portion of the tag. In real life this is full of depth and dimension!
I used a rather large stamp and some bright blue embossing powder to add the design in the lower left corner. 
My chipboard corners were painted with Colour Arte Radiant Gel-Guatemalan Green and glued to the tag with TomBow Multi. I did add some Spanish moss under the chippie. And the butterfly antenna were made out of black wire. 

The sentiment "Off the Beaten Path" was stamped onto vellum and heat embossed with green embossing powder. I chose those words because bright colors are not my norm and took me down a new path. :) And there you have it-A Bright and Vibrant Tag! Can't wait to see what you create! Remember to stop by my teamies blogs and leave em some love! Hugz and Carpe Diem! ~Niki


I would like to share this large tag with these challenges

Try It On Tuesday-Feminine and Fancy

Our Creative Corner-Return of the Challenge
I chose September 2013-Forgotten Things-My bright blue embossing powder has never been used, the corner chippies have been hoarded for some time now, and the black wire for the antenna is about 1.5 years old and this is the first time I have ever made antenna for any butterfly.

32 comments:

  1. Oh how I love Tim's Perspective butterfly and don't look just gorgeous in those beautiful bright colours and wonderful layers! I love the design of the chipboard pieces too... a truly stunning tag Niki! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, how stunning Doc!! May I just say how awesome bright colours look on you!! I am just in love with how you did your butterflies, all those fabulous layers, they're wings almost look like they're moving!! Stunning background and your choice of colours is as unique as it is gorgeous! Well done my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooooooh, Niki, what an explosion of vibrant stunning colours! Wooooow, your dimensional butterflies are to die for and you coloured them fabulously! What a fantastic textured background! Brilliant tag, my friend! I am so impressed! Thank you so much for such kind and sweet words! Big hugs and lots of love to you! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this colour palette. Your layered butterflies look like they are ready to take off so well done on the fussy cutting.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING!!! Punkin', for someone who doesn't do brights, I have to say you work with them VERY well! This is a Punkin' favorite of mine for shure! I loved your brilliant background, but then those butterflies landed and I was in serious love! Brilliant work here!!! I would hang this on my wall in an instant! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, that's fab! I struggle with vibrant colours too, and usually prefer a grungy palette, but sometimes it's nice to mix things up a little.
    That butterfly is just perfectly layered. Love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow fabulous pops of colour. Lovely backdrop for your bold butterflies. Lovely. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I wish I could make a delight like this! This is full of vibrancy, texture and a amazing layers. We are so pleased you shared this with us at Time Out x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliantly gorgeous! Love your awesome colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. FaNtaStIC tag! Love the colours! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pardon the pun but.... POSITIVELY (BRILLIANTLY) CREATIVE Niki!!! Your butterflies looks some dimensionally real the way you painted them that it's easy to imagine going "off the beaten path" like to an exotic island and see them fluttering to and fro. The vivacious colors, the luscious flourishes, the lovely chippies just make this the perfect butterfly playground. BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL. Seriously BEAUTIFUL. XX j.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you know we have butterflies in common so loved it right off the bat but the colors really have drawn me in. I love the bright colors. The layered butterflies are ready to fly. Love it Niki! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous tag Niki! I think it's a great take on our theme! Thanks for sharing it with us over at TioT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your tag is just stunning, love the colours
    thanks for joining our challenge over at
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/
    Debbie Dt

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Niki ... what a fabulous riot of gorgeous colour ... and such fantastic texture, depth and dimension! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi this is stunning I love all the textures. Thank you for joining us at <a href='http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk/’> Creative Artiste Challenge Blog </a> for challenge 12 Anything Goes with the optional twist of using chipboard. Hugs Jackie DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous colors!!! I think it is a beautiful tag. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fab project, thanks for joining us at TIOT, Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Truly vibrant colors.


    So glad you joined us at Morgan's ArtWorld.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love you doing brights!! You completely rock it my lovely, I think is amazing and so hope to see more brights from you!! P.S. I have something for you... please could you email me your address, and if you want a sneak peek, it's over on my blog! ;)
    Massive hugs my lovely friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous color combination and such wonderful work with layered butterflies!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  22. This tag is wonderful, love it so much. Gorgeous colours and layout, brilliant. Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  23. A fantastic vibrant tag. Thank you for sharing it with us at TioT's this time.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holy Moly, Niki!! This tag is beyond fantastic - and I am seriously envying your fussy-cutting skill! Love, love, love your colors and the layers and all of the detail - and your technique with great step-out! Will definitely be revisiting this for inspiration! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the bright colors and butterflies. Great take on the challenge and thanks for playing with us at TIOT.
    Hugz, Z

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very cool! I love the contrast between the blue and purple. Smacks you right in the eye! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunning Niki, I love the layers after layers, and the colours are divine...
    Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

    Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner xxx
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry, but this IS cute! I could definitely see the dimension right away-- those butterflies look trick! Love the moss, too. Very spring-like.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really beautiful, Niki! Love the fluff elements and how they framed the butterflies. <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous tag! Thanks for joining us at TO :o) ~Shery

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats on another win at We Love to Create with this beauty! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete